跳到主要内容

Episode16

The mailman just dropped some mail in our box, Grandpa.
邮差刚刚塞进一些信件在我们的信箱里,爷爷。
Probably a lot of advertising and bills.
大概是一大堆广告和帐单。
Why don't you write to me, Robbie,
你为什么不给我写信呢,Robbie?
so I can get some interesting mail?
那样我就可以收到一些有趣的信件了。
You were right, Grandpa.
给你说对了,爷爷。
Advertising, bills, bills, advertising.
广告、帐单、帐单、广告。
Yes. It's just like I said, Robbie.
正像我说的那样吧,Robbie。
Nothing interesting.
没有什么有趣的。
You won't believe it, Grandpa,
你绝不会相信,爷爷,
but there's a letter here addressed to you,
这里确实有一封信是寄给你的。
Mr. Malcolm Stewart, and it looks like a personal letter.
Malcolm Stewart先生收,而且看来是一封私人信件。
Oh, it must be a bill.
噢,还不是帐单。
I don't think so.
我想不是吧。
The return name and address is
发信人姓名和地址是:
Pete Waters, RFD Number 1, Chesterton.
Pete Waters,Chesterton,乡村免费邮递路线一号。
You're joking. Pete Waters?
你在开玩笑吧。Pete Waters?
Pete Waters, RFD Number 1, Chesterton.
Pete Waters,乡村免费邮递路线一号,Chesterton。
You know him?
你认识他吗?
Do I know Pete Waters?
我可认识Pete Waters?
You bet I do!
你可以打赌我当然认识。
He was my roommate in college.
他是我大学时的室友。
He visited with Grandma and me in Florida
他到Florida看过祖母和我?
about five years ago.
大约五年前。
What does he say?
他说了些什么?
Is he OK?
他还好吗?
Yeah, he's fine.
是的,他不错。
Just fine.
相当不错。
He's writing to invite me
他写信邀请我
to spend a weekend with him at his farm.
去他的农场跟他一起渡个周末。
He's planning a get-together
他计划办一个聚会,
with two or three other college friends.
邀两、叁个其他的大学朋友一起。
A kind of a fifty-year anniversary reunion.
等于是五十周年重逢聚会。
Sounds like fun.
听起来好像蛮好玩的。
Fifty years? Wow!
五十年?喔!
It sounds like fun to me, too, Robbie.
对我来说也像是蛮好玩的,Robbie。
What kind of farm does he have?
他的农场是什么样的?
I've never been there, Robbie,
我从来没有去过那儿,Robbie,
but he has chickens and cows and all.
但他有鸡、牛等等。
That means fresh eggs and fresh milk.
也就是说会有新鲜的鸡蛋和牛奶。
Does he have a family?
他有亲人吗?
No, he doesn't, Robbie.
没有,他没有,Robbie。
He never married.
他没有结过婚。
He's not as lucky as I am
他不像我这样幸运地
to have a family and grandchildren.
拥有一个家庭和孙子们。
I'm a lucky man.
我是个幸运的人。
How come he never got married?
为什么他不结婚?
That's a good question, Robbie.
这是个好问题,Robbie。
A very good question.
一个非常好的问题。
He never married because
他不结婚是因为
the girl he was in love with in college married someone else.
他大学时代所爱的女孩跟别人结婚了。
As simple as that.
就这么简单。
He never got over it.
他一直念念不忘。
He must have loved her very much.
他一定非常非常地爱她。
Yes. Very much.
是的,非常爱。
Lillian Winters.
她是Lillian Winters。
She was in our class.
她和我们同班。
And what happened?
发生什么事呢?
She was in love with Donald McGrath,
她爱上了Donald McGrath,
the quarterback on our football team.
我们足球队的四分卫。
Football players are always popular with the ladies.
足球队员往往很讨女生的喜爱。
She liked Pete, and they went to dances together.
她喜欢Pete,他们也一起去跳舞。
But her heart was with Donald.
但她的心里想的是Donald。
Did he ever get over it?
他有忘掉这件事吗?
No, he never did.
没有,从来没有。
Where is she today?
她如今在哪里?
I don't know.
我不知道。
Maybe Lillian will be at the reunion.
或许Lillian也会参加聚会。
You think so?
你想会吗?
Pete's full of surprises.
Pete总是出人意表。
I wish I could go there with you, Grandpa.
我真希望我能够跟你一起去,爷爷。
What do you think the surprise will be?
你想会是什么样的意外惊喜?
With Pete, you never know, Robbie.
你不可能猜到Pete会耍什么花样,Robbie。
Won't it be exciting to see all your college friends there again?
在那里又要见到你的大学朋友,难道不兴奋吗?
It is already.
现在已经很兴奋了,
I'm kind of excited about going now.
我现在就想去了。
Next weekend ...
下周末……
sleep over Friday and Saturday night
星期五和星期六晚上在那儿过夜,
and come back Sunday.
然后在星期天回来。
I can't wait!
我迫不及待!
Don't you think you ought to call Pete
你不觉得应该打个电话给Pete,
and tell him you're coming?
告诉他你要去吗?
You're reading my mind, Robbie.
你说的正是我想的,Robbie。
Hello. What can I do for you?
你好。我能为你做点什么吗?
Hi. Fill 'er up.
嗨,把油箱加满。
I need a full tank.
我要满满一箱油。
Check the hood?
要不要检查一下机件?
No, thanks.
不用了,谢谢。
Whereabouts are you headed?
你要去哪里?
Pete Waters's farm, near Chesterton.
Pete Waters的农场,在Chesterton附近。
I know it well.
我对它熟得很。
Pete Waters's lived around here almost as long as I have.
Pete Waters住在这里差不多跟我一样久了。
How long is it going to take for me to get there?
到那里还需要多久时间?
About fifteen minutes.
大约十五分钟吧。
There's a shortcut--if you know it.
假如你识路的话,有一条近路可走。
No, I don't.
不,我不识路。
Could you tell me how to use the shortcut?
你能告诉我怎么走这条近路吗?
Sure. You take the next left turn.
当然。你在下一个路口左转,
You'll see a stop sign.
会看到有个停车再开标志。
Make a right at the stop sign.
就在停车再开标志那里向右拐。
Stay on that road, and you'll cross a blue bridge.
沿着路开下去,你会经过一座蓝色的桥。
Then you'll see a big old red barn.
然后你就会看到一座旧的红色大谷仓。
That's the back of Pete Waters's place.
那就是Pete Waters住处的后面。
That's quite a difference from the directions that Pete sent me.
这和Pete寄给我的路线指示完全不同。
Now, if you take that route, it's probably a lot simpler,
哦,假如你走这条路的话,可能会简单得多,
but it'll take you ten minutes longer.
但会多花你十分钟的时间。
OK. Let me repeat it.
好吧。让我重复一遍。
I take the next left turn to the stop sign.
我在下个路口左转弯,到一个停车再开标志处,
Then a right across a blue bridge,
然后右转,经过一座蓝色的桥。
and then a big red barn.
然后就是一座大的红色谷仓。
Can't miss it.
错不了的。
How much do I owe you?
我应付你多少钱?
Well, that'll be eighteen dollars and seventy cents.
嗯,十八美元七毛。
No charge for the cleanup.
清洗不用付费。
It's on the house.
这是免费的。
Well, here's a twenty.
嗯,这是二十美元。
Ah. OK. That's a dollar and thirty cents change.
啊,好啦。这是一美元叁毛零钱。
There we go ... will make twenty. Thanks.
你看……加起来正好二十美元。谢谢了。
Thank you.
谢谢。
And thanks for the directions.
谢谢你给我指了路。
This must be Pete's barn.
这一定是Pete的谷仓了。
Turn right to the house.
向右拐就到他的房子了。
Hi.
嗨!
Hi. What can I do for you?
嗨!我能帮你吗?
Is this the Pete Waters farm?
这是Pete Waters的农场吗?
It is.
正是。
I'm a friend of Pete's.
我是Pete的朋友。
I'm looking for the house.
我正在找他的房子。
It's just over yonder.
他的房子就在那边。
Keep along this road
沿着这条路
till you get to the end of the fence.
到栅栏的尽头。
You'll see the chicken house.
你会看到鸡舍。
His house is on the left.
他的房子就在左边。
Well, thanks.
好的,谢谢你。
"Have gone to the railroad station.
“去火车站。
Back soon with a surprise.
接一个惊喜即回。
Make yourself at home.
勿客气。
Have a look around. Pete."
到处看看。Pete”
Same old Pete Waters.
Pete Waters还是老样子。
Always full of surprises.
总是出人意表。
Don't tell me.
别告诉我。
Please don't tell me.
请先别告诉我。
I recognize you ...
我认得你……
Oh, don't be silly, Arnie.
噢,别傻了,Arnie。
Of course you recognize him.
你当然认得他。
Except for the beard, he hasn't changed in fifty years.
除了有胡须,他五十年来没有变。
It's Malcolm Stewart!
他是Malcolm Stewart!
I know it's Malcolm Stewart.
我就知道是Malcolm Stewart,
You haven't changed much in fifty years.
你五十年来没有什么变。
Peggy--Peggy Pendleton!
Peggy--Peggy Pendleton!
You're Peggy Pendleton!
你是Peggy Pendleton!
Who am I, you old rascal?
我是谁?你这个老玩童。
You don't recognize me, do you?
你不认识我了,是吗?
I know who you are.
我知道你是谁。
You're Arnold Franklin!
你是Arnold Franklin!
I know who you are!
我知道你是谁!
You look wonderful, Malcolm!
你看起来好得很,Malcolm!
Sit down. Sit down.
请坐。请坐吧。
Pete isn't home.
Pete不在家。
Really?
真的吗?
No. He left a note on the door
是的。他留了一张条子在门上,
saying he was going to the railroad station
说他要去火车站?
to pick up a surprise.
接一个意外惊喜回来。
He's so funny.
他喜欢开玩笑。
Always full of surprises,
总是出人意表,
even fifty years later.
五十年之后还是这样。
The two of you look unbelievable!
你们俩看起来简直让人难以置信!
How's your family?
你的家人好吗?
Oh, I was sorry
噢,我很难过
to hear about your wife having passed away.
听到你太太去世的消息。
Yes. About four years ago.
是的,大约四年前走的。
And you're living with your children now? In New York?
你现在跟你的孩子们一起住在New York对吗?
Pete wrote us and told us.
Pete写信告诉我们的。
Yup.
是的。
Retired and moved to New York
我退休了,搬到纽约
to live with my son and his family.
和我儿子和他的家人住在一起。
By the way,
顺便问一声,
what do you think this big surprise is?
你认为这一件大惊喜会是什么?
It could be most anything, knowing Pete.
任何事情都可能,你是知道Pete的。
Hey, that must be Pete!
嗨,那一定是Pete!
Now we'll find out about the surprise.
现在我们可以知道是什么样的惊喜了。
So good to see you all!
看到你们大家真高兴!
Oh, Pete, Pete!
噢,Pete,Pete!
Oh, it's so good to see you!
噢,看到你真是太好了。
Remember Lillian?
还记得Lillian吗?
I remember all of you.
我记得你们各位。
You haven't changed a bit.
你们一点都没有变。
Lillian! Oh, my gosh!
Lillian!噢,我的天啊!
Lillian Winters.
Lillian Winters。
We were together in the Thursday night drama society.
我们过去总在星期四晚上的话剧社里聚会。
Remember me, Malcolm?
还记得我吗,Malcolm?
Oh, beautiful as ever, Lillian.
噢,你还像以前一样漂亮,Lillian。
How's Donald?
Donald怎么样?
That's OK, Malcolm.
没有关系,Malcolm。
Donald passed away a couple of years ago.
Donald几年前去世了。
Sorry to hear that, Lillian.
很遗憾听到这个,Lillian。
Oh, I'm so sorry.
噢,我真难过。
I would not have missed this get-together for the world!
世界上任何事情都阻止不了我来参加这次聚会!
And your little surprise, Pete?
你的小惊喜呢,Pete?
You really surprised me
你已经够让人惊喜了
by having us all come together.
使我们聚在一起。
You don't know what the surprise is yet?
你们还不知道这个惊喜是什么?
Come on!
过来!
We'll tell you the big surprise.
我来告诉你们这个大惊喜。
I've invited you here for the weekend to help celebrate.
我邀请你们到这儿来渡周末并一起庆祝。
Celebrate?
庆祝?
Our fiftieth reunion?
是我们的五十年重聚?
No.
不是吧。
No. Pete wants to tell you ...
不是。Pete要告诉你们……
Now, let me have the honor, Lillian.
现在,容我享有这个荣幸,Lillian。
For goodness' sake, Pete, tell us!
天啊,Pete,快告诉我们!
I can't wait much longer.
我再也不能等了。
Well, I am pouring this iced tea
嗯,我再给你们倒冰茶,
so that we can toast Lillian--and me.
以便我们能敬Lillian一杯--也敬我。
You don't mean to tell me that you and ...
你不会是告诉我们你和……
Yes, I do.
是的,我是这个意思。
I have loved Lillian all these years,
这些年来我一直爱着Lillian,
so I asked her to be Mrs. Pete Waters.
所以我请求她成为Pete Waters夫人。
And I said yes.
而我答应了。
I knew it! I knew it!
我就知道是这样!我就知道是这样!
Congratulations!
恭喜你们!
Oh, Lillian,
噢,Lillian,
I am so happy for you both.
我真为你们俩感到高兴。
It's wonderful!
太好了!
It's wonderful for me.
这对我来说太好了。
Lillian will make me a happy man--finally.
Lillian会使我终于成为一个快乐的男人。
You are full of surprises, Pete.
你总是出人意表,Pete。
We are going to
我们要
spend the entire weekend having a good time together here
一起渡过一个快乐的周末
on the farm.
在农场。
We are going to celebrate all weekend.
我们整个周末都要进行庆祝。
When is the wedding?
什么时候举行婚礼呢?
That's another surprise.
这是另一个惊喜。
Lillian and I were married two weeks ago in Detroit.
Lillian和我已经在两周前在Detroit结婚了。
She's come here to stay.
她这次来是要住下来。
Wait till I tell my family about this!
我告诉我家人这件事的时候有的瞧了!
Why, that's wonderful!
哎呀,这太美好了!